6 Simple Pasta Recipes With Bouillon
When people think about cooking with bouillon, they often only think about how it's used to make broths or amp up the flavor of their favorite soup or stew. Bouillon is a much more versatile ingredient than that and it’s actually a popular ingredient in a variety of dishes from across the world.
Tired of cooking the same pasta recipes over and over again? No problem. We've gathered our top six favorite easy pasta recipes that use bouillon as an ingredient to add bold, umami flavor to the dish.
Whether you want to cook a meal with chicken, fish, or is vegetarian, there's a simple pasta recipe for you that includes bouillon.
1. Bright Spring Vegetable Pasta with Burrata
Celebrate the warmer weather with a plentiful pasta dish bursting with green vegetables and beautiful color, then topped with creamy burrata cheese. This is a simple, yet flavorful meal for the whole family to enjoy or ideal for weekly meal prep.
- Whole Wheat Fusilli (16 oz.) or other short pasta
- 4 quarts water (16 cups)
- 1 to 2 BOU Chicken Flavored Bouillon Cube
- 2 cups fresh English peas or frozen
- 1 cup fresh asparagus tips
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow medium onion medium, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 8–12 oz mushrooms sliced or quartered -cremini, shiitake, buttons or morels
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- 1/4–1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs- mint, basil, dill, or Italian Parsley or a blend
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Bring large pot with 4 quarts water and 2 tbsp of salt to a boil. Add pasta cook to al dente, approx. 7 minutes (see directions on package). During last minute of cooking the pasta, add the fresh peas and asparagus tips to the boiling pasta, turn the heat up to high and quickly blanch for one minute.
- Drain pasta and veggies (reserving 1-2 cups hot pasta water). Do not rinse. Return to pot, turn heat off.
- Warm 2-4 cups of water to dissolve 1 or 2 BOU Flavored Chicken Bouillon Cubes.
- In a deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over low-medium heat. Sauté the diced onion until tender and clear, approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms and roughly chop garlic. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté until golden and tender, 7-8 minutes.
- Add desired amount of chicken broth to sauteed mushroom and onion skillet while turning heat to medium-high to boil. More broth for more sauce.
- Combine pasta with skillet sauce, gently stir to coat the pasta. Add more chicken broth or reserved pasta water as needed to loosen the pasta and make it saucy. Do not let dry out.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and grated parmesan cheese as desired.
- Place burrata cheese on top of final plated dish. Serve immediately!
2. Spicy Shrimp Noodles with Bok Choy and Scallions
This delectable dish is served with shrimp, but if you're not a fan or allergic to shellfish, swap it out with chicken or pork. The spiciness can be turned up or down, depending upon your preference.
- Three chopped scallions with the whites and greens separated
- One package of rice noodles
- 1/2 pound of bok choy
- Three cloves of minced garlic
- One to two tablespoons fresh ginger
- Two tablespoons vegetable oil, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
- Three tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp
- One BOU vegetable flavored bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Soak three servings of the rice noodles in a bowl of cool water
- Chop the scallions and bok choy, separating the greens from the whites
- Chop the fresh ginger, using a smaller or larger amount depending upon how spicy you want it
- Heat oil in a wok and cook bok choy whites for one minute, then add in the greens
- Remove the bok choy and add in the ginger, chili paste, and scallion whites, cooking for one minute
- Add in the shrimp and cook for an additional five minutes, flipping halfway through
- Remove the shrimp
- Make two cups of broth with the BOU cube, adding it and the soy sauce to the wok
- Add the noodles
- Mix the cornstarch with one tablespoon water, adding it to the wok with a dash of sugar
- Cook until noodles are visibly soft
- Add the bok choy and shrimp back in and toss
- Serve with chili flakes and scallion greens on top
3. Buttered Noodles
Buttered noodles is a simple pasta recipe that is a perfect side to any main dish. Cooking the dish with a bouillon cube gives the dish an even deeper flavor.
- One can of chicken broth
- One cup water
- One BOU chicken-flavored bouillon cube
- One divided stick of butter
- One package of wide egg noodles
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley
- Mix the water, broth, bouillon cube, and half of the butter in a large pan, bringing to a boil
- Add the egg noodles, frequently mixing for around eight minutes
- Note: turn the heat down to medium-low, so it doesn't evaporate too quickly, but don't be afraid to add more water if needed
- Add the rest of the butter and garlic powder, stirring well
- Remove from heat, seasoning with pepper
- Serve immediately with parsley on top
4. Vegetable Pasta Primavera
Recently gotten some fresh vegetables from the farmer's market that you want to use? Make this healthy pasta recipe for a quick weeknight meal.
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sliced red onion
- One large chopped yellow pepper
- One large chopped zucchini
- One large chopped red pepper
- One pound of penne pasta
- 1/2 cup of parmesan or vegan cheese
- One BOU beef-flavored bouillon cube
- Two teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Optional ingredients: parsley, lemon wedges, additional cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add in the onions and saute for three minutes
- Toss in the bell peppers and zucchini
- Cook the pasta according to the package's instructions, reserving one cup of the pasta water
- Toss the vegetables with the pasta
- Whisk together the pasta water, the BOU cube, and the seasoning, adding the mixture to the vegetables
- Add the parmesan or your choice of cheese to the pasta and vegetable mixture, stirring until combine
- Garnish the pasta dish with lemon wedges, fresh parsley, and additional cheese
5. Easy Tofu and Mushroom Ramen
For fans of tofu, this recipe incorporates both tofu and mushrooms into a truly delectable ramen dish. It utilizes a different type of bouillon cube rather than a vegetable one that you'd usually expect with a vegetarian meal.
- One block extra firm tofu, drained & pressed
- Four cups water
- One BOU Cinnamon and Coconut seasoning cube
- Two tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- Two tablespoons soy sauce
- Eight shiitake mushrooms, stems removed & sliced thinly
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- One bunch bok choy
- One Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- One packet ramen noodles
- One tbsp red chili paste
- Sesame seeds, two shallots, diced
- Enoki mushrooms & lime juice
- Two large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- Cut the tofu into 1" squares, pressing it with a paper towel to absorb the moisture
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the tofu, tossing until it is golden brown
- Reduce your heat to low, adding in the soy sauce
- Coat the tofu in the soy sauce, removing it from the heat
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add in the grated ginger, garlic, red chili paste, carrots, and shallots
- Cook for three to four minutes, stirring constantly
- Increase the heat to high and add in your water and BOU cube
- Once the water begins to boil, reduce your heat to low, and add in the bok choy and mushrooms
- Cover the mixture and let cook for ten minutes
- After ten minutes, add in your ramen noodles
- Let the noodles cook for five to seven minutes before dividing the noodle mixture among four bowls
- Top with the tofu, scallions, and sesame seeds
6. Pasta with Onion and Parmesan
Looking for a dish that tastes like it's been cooking all day but when in reality, it only took you 20 minutes? This beef broth pasta recipe is hearty and filling.
- One onion
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One teaspoon olive oil
- 10 ounces of pasta (any tubular pasta will work)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1.5 BOU beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- Fresh parsley
- Add the water and BOU cube to a small pan, bringing to a simmer over low heat
- Finely chop the onion
- Melt the olive oil and butter in a large pan over low heat
- Put in the onion and cook for around five minutes until soft
- Add in your pasta, stirring well, so it's coated in the onion butter
- Pour in around 1/2 cup of the beef broth, continually stirring until completely absorbed
- Keep adding in the beef broth 1/2 cup at a time, continually stirring with each addition until the pasta is al dente
- Use boiling water if you run out of broth
- Season with black pepper and garnish with parsley and parmesan
Simple Pasta Recipes for the Summer
As the days turn warmer and you wish to spend less time in front of a hot stove, why not explore pasta recipes that use bouillon. Different types of bouillon cubes can simply add more complex flavors, from garlic to chicken to coconut. No matter what dish you're creating, make sure to add a pop of flavor with a BOU bouillon cube.
To explore more recipes that include bouillon, check out the blog section on our site.