To Make Tofu Katsu:
- Wrap tofu block in paper towels and allow the tofu to drain off any excess moisture for 15 minutes. Cut the tofu block into two thin halves. See photos.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the flour and a beaten egg in separate shallow dishes. Combine panko bread crumbs and salt in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip one piece of tofu in flour, making sure to coat all the edges. Then dip in egg and then finally in panko bread crumbs. Once all the edges are covered, carefully place the tofu in the hot oil. Fry the tofu on one side for 2 minutes until golden brown and then flip to fry the other side for 2 more minutes. Remove the tofu and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the other piece of tofu. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven.
To Make Mushroom Curry:
- Chop the mushrooms into about ½” to 1” pieces. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the mushrooms. Season the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and saute for 8 minutes, until all moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms. Remove the mushrooms and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add water and BOU Mushroom Gravy Cubes and bring to a boil. Stir to break up the bouillon cubes. Season with ½ tsp salt, white pepper, curry powder, and sriracha. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to stir until the curry is thick. Add in the mushrooms and stir. Cook the mushrooms in the curry for a final few minutes to warm them through. Serve immediately.
To Assemble Bowls:
- Place rice and mushroom curry in a bowl. Top with tofu katsu and scallions.
Recipe by Kristina Cho of Eat Cho Food.